Monday, February 16, 2009

Madonna's Lattes.

So, here I am on a typical Thursday morning at the breakfast joint. Thursday's gather a very different crowd than the weekends, which are usually all of our old-school regulars and younger college students. Thursdays are usually the older retired folk and the British Airways attendants (which are from England obviously). The attendants are very, very predictable...they always come at the crack of dawn(5am) when I am at my laziest and of course they want to sit outside in the lovely 50 or below temperature. Opening side work has not been finished and the cook isn't quite prepped to make poached eggs and English muffins. These people eat poached eggs on top of English muffins or brown toast (what we call "wheat"), like its going out of style. They drink about two to three glasses of orange juice and about two pots of hot tea. It's all very....."splendid." With that being said, I get a total kick out of waiting on most of these individuals and end up asking them a million things about England, flying and so fourth and I absolutely adore a English/British accent. They pretty much rock. I have noticed that they have a very different vocabulary than us here in the U.S. it is very sophisticated and proper and I find it to be really hilarious and cool at the same time.



These folks, I've noticed are more celebrity crazed than Americans if you can believe that. They always have stories about different celebs that regularly travel with their airways. A couple of them were telling me how "peculiar" Madonna is, and how she always has to have soy vanilla creamer for her coffee and soy vanilla latte's made for her at her request. She also has a private Japanese cook that travels with her and they say she eats funny looking jelly food that comes in different sized Tupperware containers. It might look like this:


Or possibly even this:



Hah! Just kidding. Pretty funny, huh? Oh, that Billy Cosby and his Jell-O Puddin'.
Just wanted some suspense.


Anyways, why do I care to hear this? I dunno, but I keep on asking away. They say she travels with a whole barrage of assistants that do everything for her even on a damn plane. What the heck is wrong with this picture? Why the hell do we kiss so much butt to another human being like Madonna? I mean, seriously? Why do we care to know whats going on in a total stranger's personal life and why do we give them so much power? Honestly, I can care less about Madonna. I don't keep up with celebrities and their drama (it kills brain cells). However, I'm guilty of keeping up with my favorite athletes and musicians, so I guess I can't really be a hypocrite about it all. These British Airways people find Madonna fascinating, when I could care less while I'm crying over my Sports Illustrated as I read about Brett Favre retiring. While they like Madonna and whatever it is she likes to eat, I like Brett Favre and care about his retirement (which ruined my entire day). Bottom line, we're all facinated by celebrities, whether we admit it or not.

2 comments:

  1. Amie,

    I find that British folk are easily amused as well. Glad you could "muse" them while they eat their poached eggs :)

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  2. British folk, who needs em! Just kidding. Good stuff. A little advice, you can write shorter posts and get more. I'll expect 24 by May 12.

    ReplyDelete