Sunday, April 12, 2009

Hot "Purse" of Coffee Anyone?


Today was a very weird day to say the least. I got to work at a very sunny 5 am, next I about fell right back asleep because nobody came in until about 8 am. I drank way too many cups of coffee and ate just about nothing. My boss, who is also the cook got the bright idea to call the second server and tell her not to bother coming into work because we were so slow. Very "UN-bright" idea on my boss's behalf. It was a Saturday morning and we are a very busy breakfast place and he was intending on making me run the whole joint, solo. Get the picture? He(my boss) pretty much fed me to the wolves.

Within ummm, I'd say twenty minutes of my boss telling the "help" to stay home, I got slammed(meaning, extremely busy). Pretty much everyone and their moms came in, and did I mention all at the same time? Needless to say I was in over my head. Do I even have a head? At this point, I really didn't know what the hell was going on. With that being said, I think for the most part I handled the chaotic day with ease and grace, like a true pro......well, maybe until about a hour before closing....that is about the time I became a real mess.


First I gave a customer(who is also a regular) his change. At this point you're probably thinking "Big deal, you gave him some change" but you see I sort of dropped his change in his Egg's Benedict while in mid-bite. That is right my friends, literally in his Egg's Benedict. The only unfortunate thing about this is the fact that this same guy has witnessed me do many other klutzy things not only to him, but many other customers. Wait, it gets better.


After I apologized to him repeatedly, I decided to go make my rounds with coffee and water. The only problem with that idea was the chair in my way and it sort of took me down. Ok, so I ate shit right in front of this same dude. Of course! The man then helps pick me up off of the floor as he mumbles "Well kid, you really are somethin else". I was mortified. And it only goes downhill from here.
I brushed myself off and finally made it outside to fill up coffee, clear dirty plates, drop checks and so fourth. I made it over to a table of some ladies and I grabbed their dirty dishes and asked if they'd like a final cup of coffee. One lady responded yes, and the other says she is not interested in anymore coffee. Well, I gave it to her anyways, let me just tell you. One of the women at the table kindly pointed out that I was pouring coffee into her friends purse. You heard right. I apparently was pouring the coffee into her purse the whole time and didn't even know it. I seriously filled this ladies purse with Farmer's Brother's darkest roast. As this was all taking place, that same man whom's Egg's benedict I ruined, happened to be standing behind me waiting to give me my tip. He then repeated "Well kid, like I said before, you really are something else". My response.."Hey man, That's the way I roll".



5 comments:

  1. I would like some coffee in my purse, please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the stories, when are you going to post more? Your stories are so interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a follower....yay! But why doesn't it show the photo I uploaded?

    ReplyDelete
  4. As for Sue's problem, I have no clue but when I figure it out i will definitely let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well at least the guy was cool about it. I think we have all been slammed like that before.... well if you have ever waited on customers! I had friends come in one time and I was running around with my head cut off and was so embarassed! Horrible service because I was slammed! It is a horrible feeling. You just want to run away. Just move on:) HAHA

    ReplyDelete