Friday, May 8, 2009

A whale of A Tale-follow up


If  you read my "A Whale of A Tale" post, you'd remember me mentioning the lady who jumped off  of the whale watching boat. If you recall the ending of that post you would remember that they did nothing to see if she was alright.  Instead, the lady was released almost immediately after the boat returned her to land.  Police and crew members didn't contact her family or arrest her for her suicide attempt( which is illegal), they just let her go.

 Big mistake.

 That same lady went for one last swim with the fishes. 

Her body was found floating about a quarter mile out from the pier. Oddly enough, it was the same whale watching  boat she jumped off three weeks prior that discovered her body. Even worse, there were nearly one-hundred elementary students on board when her body was discovered. Crew member's of the vessel notified the Coast Guard and were instructed to wait by her body for nearly twenty minutes before they( Coast Guard's) came to retrieve her remains.

She apparently jumped off the rocks pictured above and drowned herself. Those rocks are not very high, they just serve as a barrier for large waves. The lady in this situation, had to actually drown herself by force. A fairly slow and painful death. 

This saddens me and pisses me off simultaneously. 

Why didn't anyone do anything? If I had been on that boat, like I originally planned on being, I would have said something. I  mean, why didn't anyone see the seriousness in that situation? A grown woman who goes on a whale watching voyage alone and jumps off the boat to "Swim with the fishes", is clearly not sane. 

I don't even know this lady or her story, yet I am saddened for her and her family. If I was her loved one, I would wonder why nobody spoke up. One simple phone call may have been all it would have taken to have saved her life. Just one person taking an interest in her well being. But no one cared enough to do anything, and unfortunately this is a common issue with people. They just don't care.

 I am not putting the blame on anyone in particular for her suicide. I am just trying to point out that it is so easy to turn your head in the other direction when it comes to people we don't know or feel any attachment towards. 

Who knows, this lady could have been a crazy person with no loved one's in her life. But she may have meant the world to someone too. She could have been someone's mother, daughter, lover, sister or friend. 

Why we should care?
 Because this could have been our mother, daughter, sister, friend, or lover that no one cared enough to save. 


No comments:

Post a Comment